Thursday, April 24, 2008

I introduce to you "Cockles." My official entry into a lace spinning contest! 57wpi singles and 36 wpi 2-ply. This is a picture of the 2ply.
Approximately 596 yards for 3.7oz. From Sakina's Needles. I love the way the niddy noddy shows me how the colors are going to look knit up!
The spinning project I have in mind is a simple scarf in the Seafoam Pattern from Barbara Walker's 2nd Treasury of Knitting Patterns. I found this pattern in the latest edition of Spin-Off 2008. I chose this pattern because Cockles reminds me of the sea.
I found the color pattern repeats in the roving and divided them in half. The 1st bobbin I spun by stripping a small portion from the roving in long pieces. This created short color pattern repeats. The colors changed very quickly. The 2nd bobbin I spun, I tore off larger color segments for long color repeats. The idea was for the colors to ply thoroughly to create as many different color blends possible. I believe that this will make a FABULOUS seafoam scarf. I will knit this myself to be a gift for a friend who is moving away to her mother's home in VA. Beach.

5 comments:

Nana Sadie said...

What a beautiful yarn! Can't wait to see the progression to scarf!!
(((hugs)))

IndigoMuse said...

Be still my beating heart. You blow me away with how fine you can spin. Good luck with your spinning entry :)

Diana said...

Wow, impressive to be sure. Great colors and some fine spinning. Hoe ya win! Love the niddy noddy photo, creative!

Nikki said...

That's stunning!!

Jenny Raye said...

That's some pretty stuff, Cate!